Friday, June 22, 2007

When I Said I Wanted to Read Your Blog

Spotted a few days ago and didn't post it



When I heard that the Go! Team were recording a new album, I felt a little apprehensive. I really didn't think they could ever come close to topping anything from Thunder, Lightning, Strike but it seems that they may have done just that. The video above is for the tune Grip Like a Vice, and it's F-U-N! If they decide to tour for the album, I'll try really hard not to miss em since I missed em every other time they've been around.

Speaking of that, one show I was super bummed about missing in 06 was The Smoking Popes. They played the Grog Shop in September(?) of last year, and I couldn't make it. I'd always had a soft spot for the band since hearing them on the Clueless soundtrack, believe it or not. For my money, Need You Around was THE Summer Anthem of 1995, with all due respect to Skee-Lo. I couldn't find the video of the song, but anyone reading this could do themselves a favor and pick up their album Born to Quit because it's great from front to back. Their other major full-length, Destination Failure is awesome too. And, since it's going for $.30 on amazon.com, why not grab the Clueless soundtrack while you're at it. It's a lot better than it has any right to be.

So the point of all this is that the Smoking Popes are coming back to Cleveland! On July 28th they'll be at the Beachland Ballroom, and so will I. So should you! If anyone reading this hasn't heard anything of theirs and wants to, get at me and I'll help you out.

On the same subject, another show I'm still kicking myself for missing was Jens Lekman. He was at the Beachland Ballroom last summer and I couldn't make it. He has a new track that's floating around the web, and it's typically stellar. The name is Friday Night at the Drive-In Bingo. It's well worth a listen.

Movie Night is still on. I haven't decided on one yet, but I might post some stuff about the winner in the future.

Until Then,
Later.

No comments: