Thursday, June 14, 2007

GO CAVS Part III

So I just got back from my run. I decided to take it a little early today, and I'd say it was pretty productive. Earlier today, I couldn't think of what to listen to on said run, until I got a bulletin from my (MySpace) buddy Cosmo Baker. He put a free mix online and I downloaded it. So that was my workout mix for today. It's called Feeling Good and that pretty much describes the vibe. Earth, Wind, & Fire, Chaka Khan, Stevie Wonder, and the like. I caught a lot of tunes that were sampled by various hip-hop artists, but I couldn't write them down, since I was busy running. Good stuff, though.

I mentioned yesterday about how I had 2 Live Crew in rotation at work. That wasn't the best idea. Not because of possible trouble, but because I literally felt dirty after listening to enough of it. I'm far from a prude, but yesterday might be the one and only time I listen to 2 Live Crew Is What We Are, Move Somethin', and As Nasty As They Wanna Be all at once. I also procured Banned In The USA and Sports Weekend: As Nasty As They Wanna Be Part II but I ran out of time yesterday before I had a chance to listen to those. The joke got old pretty fast, but the samples were pretty choice. Everything from The Beatles to The Kinks to Guns N Roses to Van Halen and many more. It made me miss the older days before sampling laws.

Today I took a much different approach and played nothing but New Edition. Everyone reading this with ears should try and obtain their Candy Girl and New Edition albums and put them in your car stereo. Roll those windows down, crank it up, and enjoy the summer. I've been on a real Bobby Brown / Bell Biv Devoe kick lately (don't ask me why), so I figured I'd go all the way back to New Edition. Good idea, I'd say.

I've been on a Time kick for a good little while, and while listening to their Pandemonium album (their best, and criminally out of print), wondered if they made a video for my favorite song, Jerk Out. Here it is:



And, as an added bonus (for those that care), here's an SNL performance of the same tune:



I never knew they were ever on SNL, and when I looked it up, I found a very interesting tidbit: apparently, during the other song they played on the show (Chocolate, another good one), Morris Day says to Jerome, "Where the fuck this chicken come from -- I thought I ordered ribs!" So the next time someone asks you about the people that dropped the F bomb on SNL, add Morris Day to the list.

And another thing, Arby's gets a big Gas Face for not letting me substitute Jalapeno Bites in place of Mozzarella Sticks, even though they're the same price on the menu.

That's it. As the title reads, GO CAVS! No Tim Barry tonight, but I'm sure he'd understand. If Richmond, VA had an NBA team, he probably wouldn't even play. Everybody be safe and all that.

Until Then,
Later.

No comments: