Friday, August 10, 2007

True Hardcore

A few posts back, I mentioned that I had a 30% off coupon from Borders and I planned to use it on either the Monster Squad DVD or the recently reissued The Freed Man CD from Sebadoh. The coupon expired yesterday, so I decided to use it yesterday on the Sebadoh disc. I decided on it for two reasons. Reason number one being that unbeknownst to me until I saw it in person, the Monster Squad DVD comes in one of those paper covers over the case that seem to be quite popular these days. Borders puts those plastic guards over their (non literature) merchandise to discourage theft, and the case tore a little of the paper cover. I like my stuff to be in 100% mint condition at all times, so my choice was made. Reason number two was simply that Sebadoh was cheaper.

The total after the 30% discount and tax came to $10 and change. I didn't want a bunch of bills, so I gave the lady $21. I was in a big hurry to get to the gym (I'll get to that later) so I wasn't paying attention when she only gave me change back with no bills. It wasn't until a few hours later that I realized I was missing a ten dollar bill. I was just gonna let it slide, but I was cajoled into giving Borders a call to straighten it out. I called em today and everything's cool. I got my ten bucks a few hours ago, and I couldn't be happier. The albums good, too. I'm never been the biggest Sebadoh fan (mainly because I never really knew anyone that listened to them when they mattered) but the tape loops and samples remind me of a hip hop record. However, this isn't the reissue I pegged as almost completely unnecessary yesterday. That'll get mention later.

The next order of business was the YMCA. In the summertime, I very much prefer to run outside. However, it was raining so I made the trip to the gym. I'm not crazy about the place, since the clientele seems to skew toward parents and their children. Not a lot of people my age around those parts. So after writing them off for years and years, I decided to give the Hives a try and stocked the iPod shuffle with the one-two punch of Veni Vidi Vicious and Tyrannosaurus Hives. The maelstrom of rock that followed was incredibly unexpected. The major conclusion that I came to after listening to the albums had to be that the major single of each album (Hate to Say I Told You So and Walk Idiot Walk respectively) are easily the worst songs on each album. Best songs (as of today): Outsmarted for VVV and A Little More for Little You for TH. That'll probably change a few dozen times as I get more acquainted with the albums. One more thing: I'll be the first to admit that I had been all wrong about the Hives. Sometimes I get surprised like that, and get proved very, very wrong. That happened with the Hives.

In other news, I recently obtained a copy of the reissue of the seminal album from MF DOOM known as MM...Food?. It went out of print a few years back for sample violations, but the new version is almost 100% intact. The only noticeable difference occurred in the last track, Kookies. It sounds like a remix, and the Cookie Monster sample is gone. The beat also sounds completely different. Needless to say, the remix is horribly inferior to the original. There are so many Fantastic Four samples and other uncredited stuff on the original that I was actually surprised that it stayed intact. I didn't get to watch the accompanying DVD, but it's not worth whatever they're charging for the album. Instead of wasting your money on the crappy reissue, why not get at me for a original 2004 version unopened! If anyone wants it, let me know and I'll make it happen. In closing, I'll post a video to watch. I'm pretty sure this one is taken from the aforementioned DVD. Here's MF DOOM in a good quality live performance of Beef Rapp:



Until Then,
Later.

No comments: