Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Professor Murder and whatever else

So I didn't make it to the Blondes show last night. I was quite sad, but didn't feel like driving my death trap of a car to any place other than the mechanic. And since they don't fix cars at the Beachland Tavern, I wasn't there. However, I did finally take it somewhere to have it looked at, so hopefully everything turns out ok.

In other news, I mentioned yesterday that there would be Professor Murder pics today. So, without further ado, here they are:

Here's one of the band.


And here's another one. I had a wonderful time, but it had to be the first show maybe ever where I felt OLD. The kind of feeling where you might actually be the oldest person there besides the bartenders. The feeling you get when you don't want to tell the cute girl you're talking to how old you are because you're worried she'll give you a nice smile and walk away, never to be seen again. Yes, the 18-20 crowd was out in full force at the b-side Sunday night. I decided that I wasn't going to drink too much, since I got pulled over on Thursday after the Rentals show (nothing bad happened, just a f'n hassle and a half). Anyway, I had to maneuver my way around the water cooler all night since it was getting so much use from the young'ins. Plus, the band has very little material, so the set was ultra-short. But, well worth the $5. I missed em at the Ratatat show on St. Patrick's Day, so it was cool to finally see them. Good stuff.

And, I got my first comment on yesterday's post. AND, it was from someone I'd never even met before (to my knowledge). I guess that means that people might actually be reading this thing. With that in mind, maybe I'll try a little harder to make these a little more quality filled. So, since I haven't done one of these in a while, here's the tracklisting for my forthcoming fun run! In ABC order.

1. !!! - Heart of Hearts (Somebody was playing stuff at the b-side as Professor Murder was setting up. This song was heard, and it's my favorite from Myth Takes. I'm still miffed that I missed !!! at the Grog this past May. I haven't heard a lot of hype for Myth Takes, but it's one of my favs of 2007.

2. 2 Live Crew - The Fuck Shop (Mainly for the GnR intro and the Van Halen riff. And of course the filth.)

3. A-Trak - Get Em High vs. Heartbeats (Mash-ups tend to have a extremely limited shelf life, but this one's been in the rotation for a few months. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of both songs. That always helps. This and the Jay-Z/A-Ha one from The Rub's It's The Motherfucking Remix Vol. 2 are probably my all-time favorites.

4. Bobby Brown - Every Little Step (Self explanatory.)

5. Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle (Play this in ANY bar worth a shit and watch the place go berzerk. I'm not kidding. I was at one once and the dude behind the bar gave me the biggest smirk/head nod ever and turned it the fuck UP. Must be the woah's.)

6. Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again (For my $, the best DM song ever. Peak period Depeche Mode and peak period New Order cannot be f'd with, no matter how many goofs jack it.)

7. Gil Mantera's Party Dream - Super Plus Ice Festival (The day they finally get off their duffs and play this live is the day I'll stop screaming for it at every show. GMPD is just a little more proof that Youngstown Rocks The Motherfucking Hardest.)

8. The Hives - A Little More for Little You (A little while back, I mentioned that this was my favorite song from Tyrannosaurus Hives. It still is.)

9. LCD Soundsystem - Tribulations (Until the second album came out, this was my favorite LCD Soundsystem tune. Now it's probably Someone Great. Also, Tribulations was played while Professor Murder was setting up at the b-side Sunday.)

10. Michael Jonzon - Burnin Up (One of the most played songs on the old iPod. I'd have to say that this one might be the highlight of Chromeo's Un Joli Mix Pour Toi mix CD. And's that's saying something.)

11. New Order - Temptation (Another jam played Sunday night. I think I've heard this one every time I've ever been at the b-side as a matter of fact. Not my favorite New Order song (that would be a tie between the Substance versions of Bizarre Love Triangle and True Faith) but I still like this one.)

12. Professor Murder - Free Stress Test (I was in the mood.)

13. Public Enemy - Brothers Gonna Work It Out (PE is a perennial workout favorite. It always gets me going. This one, in my opinion, is the most underrated PE song in history. However, my iPod has the version from their Greatest Hits CD, so it doesn't have the awesome intro contained on Fear of a Black Planet. Win some, lose some.)

14. Rod Stewart - Young Turks (I tend to couple this with Lido Shuffle. If you see me out and one comes on the jukebox, the other's not far behind.)

I think (hope) that's it. Let's hope the car gets fixed ASAP.

Until Then,
Later.

No comments: