Saturday, August 4, 2007

Blog.Repeat.Blog

I usually don't post stuff on the weekends, but this weekend's gonna be pretty non-eventful since I don't have any $. I was too busy yesterday with work and stuff, so I wasn't able do one of these. So, this post will mostly be about yesterday. Today, though, I slept in until about 2:30pm since I couldn't fall asleep until 6am last night/this morning. That's extra shitty since I didn't wake up in time to put my check in the bank so that I'd have money to do stuff today & tomorrow. Shit happens. Enough of the sob story, here's some stuff to read about:

So yesterday I jumped on MySpace and read a bulletin from The Hold Steady that they were performing at Lollapalooza and that their performance would be broadcast live for free on the internet. Now, I remember watching a webcast of Lollapalooza before, but I couldn't remember if it was 2005 or 2006. A quick glance online confirms that I watched a few bands on 07/25/05. I missed the Ponys and Dinosaur Jr. (I also missed Dinosaur Jr. in Cleveland around the same time frame and I'm still super pissed about that, since they haven't been back since and don't show any desire to want to come back), but I caught the Arcade Fire and Spoon. I was kinda on the fence as it pertained to the Arcade Fire at the time, but their performance converted me. I don't care how many idiots pontificate on the brilliance of Funeral, I'm always gonna love it. I got the new(er) one from the library a while back, though, but I never gave it a listen. I guess I haven't been in the mood for that stuff lately.

One band I'm always in the mood for is Spoon. I caught their set 2 years back, and it was shortly after they played the Beachland Ballroom as part of the CMJ thing that happened in 05. Since I'm pretty much a dork, I wrote down Spoon's setlist as I watched them online. I didn't do that at the Beachland since I was having too much fun. And, for some unknown reason (maybe because I knew one day I'd be writing this) I found the setlist without even really having to look for it. Here it is:

The Beast and Dragon, Adored
Me and the Bean
Someone Something
Lines in the Suit
The Fitted Shirt
The Delicate Place
I Turn My Camera On
Sister Jack
Paper Tiger
The Way We Get By
They Never Got You
I Summon You
The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine
Anything You Want
Jonathon Fisk
My Mathematical Mind

Quite a set. And, a lot different from the Beachland show. I seem to remember them playing the first four or five songs from Gimme Fiction in order to start the set. I don't really remember too much of their set at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh a few months back, either, but I think that might be because they played a good deal of stuff from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and it hadn't been released yet.

So, back to yesterday, I found the site online that was showing Lollapalooza, and, to my luck and astonishment, saw that I was about to catch Ted Leo! I was very excited, since he just cancelled his show in Cleveland the other day. Let me say that, despite the fact that him and his band sounded fantastic, it seemed like the live feed took a HUGE step down from two years ago. I didn't see anything last year, so I can't comment on that. The video was beyond choppy, and after 35 minutes of his supposed hour set, the computer froze. And, bear in mind that nothing else was running on the computer but Lollapalooza. So I was miffed to say the least. But, what I did see was phenomenal. And once again, since I'm a dork, here's the setlist of what I saw:

The Sons of Cain
Me and Mia
Army Bound
Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone?
Bomb.Repeat.Bomb
Colleen
A Bottle of Buckie
The Unwanted Things
Heart Problems
Timorous Me
then the connection craps out

Seems like a lot of new stuff, but as I said, everything sounded great. I just tried to log back on to the Lollapalooza feed a minute ago to catch The Hold Steady, but it froze the computer again. Good thing I didn't stay home last night to try and watch LCD Soundsystem, because it probably wouldn't have worked then, either.

Sucks that I gotta stay in this weekend, since I wanted to catch Johnie 3 and some bands at a bowling alley in the Lakewood area, but that show seems like it might not turn out that great, so we'll see.

Until Then,
Later.

No comments: