Thursday, August 9, 2007

A Late One

So yesterday I forgot to mention that there was (in my opinion) a better version of Motor Away than the one on Alien Lanes. Ordinarily I wouldn't make a deal out of it, but I mentioned that the superior version of Game of Pricks could be found on the Tigerbomb EP. Today I was listening to the GBV Greatest Hits album I mentioned yesterday and I noticed the different version of Motor Away. It can probably be found on one of the Suitcase compilations, in addition to the Greatest Hits album. And, I wasn't gonna put any live footage up here (despite the fact that Guided By Voices puts on one heck of a live show), but I will anyway. Most live online video has awful sound, but this sound is actually quite good. Plus, it has the some infamous Pollard high kicks & even a mic twirl for all the screamo kids. Here's Game of Pricks (the Tigerbomb version):



In other news, I just got done watching TNA iMPACT! and it was better then I had read. Generally, I hate to read spoilers about anything online, but for whatever reason, I did this week. The spoilers stated that Samoa Joe would be having an on-air affair with the wife of his opponent this Sunday on pay per view, Kurt Angle. I had absolutely no interest in seeing that, and I'm glad it didn't happen. The PPV itself actually doesn't sound half bad, and the match I'm most looking forward to would be the long awaited meeting of the Steiner Brothers and Team 3-D, formerly known as the Dudley Boyz. I talked at length about this match in past posts, so I won't rehash it. Let's just say I'm really excited to see it.

Speaking of wrestling, I came across a copy of WCW Great American Bash 1992 (with preshow!!!) recently. I literally tried to order that in July of 1992 while visiting family in New Mexico. So, over fifteen years later, I finally get to see it. Was it worth the wait? Yes and no.

Since this post is already getting quite long, the synopsis is gonna be brief. The entire PPV was built around two things: the NWA World Tag Team Title tournament and Sting defending the WCW World Title against my favorite wrestler at the time (besides Ric Flair) Big Van Vader. So the best team in the tourney, the Steiner Brothers, get eliminated in the first round on the Clash of the Champions about three weeks before the pay per view (on free TV mind you) so they're not wrestling on the show. It should be said that the first round was on the Clash and the other rounds would be on the pay per view. Then it's announced during the show that they lost the WCW world tag team belts on a non-televised event to Dr. Death Steve Williams and Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy, who also eliminated the Steiners at the Clash. So Williams and Gordy are a sure thing to win it all, right? Right. They win the whole thing and unify the WCW and NWA titles immediately, thus rendering the entire tourney meaningless. And, to add insult to injury, there's a THIRD tag belt that gets little to no mention. The United States tag team champs, The Fabulous Freebirds, get tossed right away to a Japanese team that didn't even work for WCW full time! But, Vader decimates Sting to win the World title, so that was awesome. I would have LOVED to see that live in 92, but what are ya gonna do?

So, on tap for tomorrow, be prepared to read about how I got screwed out of $10 at Borders, which new reissue is almost completely unnecessary, and my new favorite band that had a huge hit five years ago. I'll leave with another video, one that got me dancing like crazy just a few hours ago. It's by Hot Chip, the group that may have given me the show of 2006, with their song Keep Fallin' (or Keep Falling as it's called in the video, possibly from the MTV of some other country) from their first full length Coming on Strong. It's another live version, but the sound's spectacular, and this version's a lot more beefed-up than the album one. I like it. Here it is:




Until Then,
Later.

No comments: