Monday, July 9, 2007

Youngstown Rocks the Hardest

Youngstown was pretty fun. No pics though. I brought the camera but the mood never really struck me.

Saturday I went to Cedar's for a friend's 25th birthday celebration. I hadn't been there in at least five years and I was reminded why fairly quickly. I hate paying a cover (even if it's only $5) for a band I have no interest in whatsoever. Besides that, before they played (I don't remember their name) some guy got on the mic and was bragging about how they'd been on MTV and Jimmy Kimmel and a bunch of nonsense that no one wanted to hear. Youngstown had Nyabinghi and I liked that place a whole hell of a lot more. Don't get me wrong, Cedar's has the best crowd of any bar in Youngstown (probably), but I really dislike having to spend $5 to get in. I also didn't see my friend until it was almost time to leave, so that kinda sucked too.

I wanted to catch the UFC Pay-Per-View Saturday since it looked really good on paper. I got the hook-up today, though, so I'm gonna give that a watch shortly. Maybe I'll write some stuff about it tomorrow. I said I'd give some thoughts on the ROH PPV a little while back, so I'll do that in due time. I might have to watch it again, though, since it's been a while.

In other news, tomorrow looks like the biggest CD release date in some time. Here's what I'm seeing:

Bad Religion - New Maps of Hell
I said some stuff about this in an earlier post. It's not listed in the Best Buy or Circuit City ad this week, though. So that can't be good.

Interpol - Our Love to Admire
I completely ignored these guys until early 05, when I fell pretty hard. I can't listen to Antics without flashing back to Saturday nights at Thursdays Bar in Akron. Good Times.

Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist
I was never the biggest fan, but I gave it a listen anyway. I only heard it once, but it's pretty blah. It'll probably sell more than the other ones I mentioned, but whatever.

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
This is the big one (Elizabeth). I plan on grabbing this one tomorrow at the semi-local independent record store and I hope they'll still have a limited edition 7" for me. I intentionally avoided any previews of this, aside from The Underdog. I mentioned seeing the video on MySpace, and I saw it on MTV2's Subterranean last night. I'm excited.

That's it for now. UFC for me, and Spoon listening tomorrow!
Oh, and I ended up grabbing the new Dizzee Rascal (which was pretty tough since it's not really sold in the US). Good stuff, although Pussy'ole (Old Skool) is easily the best tune. And yes, it's much more randy than the video version.

Until Then,
Later.

No comments: