Tuesday, September 18, 2007

ROH Motor City Madness 2007 Thoughts & Such

I forgot to mention yesterday that I attended a Ring of Honor wrestling show this past Friday in Detroit. I got to go with Rick from Baditude--www.myspace.com/baditude--and his buddies. It was cool, but not the best show ever by any means. The major highlight was the appearance of Bryan Danielson, as he's probably my favorite active wrestler, and it was unknown if he would be in attendance. Anyway, he was sporting an eye patch from his war with Morishima a few shows back. He dismantled the team of Chasyn Rance & Kenny King singlehandedly. Also, I felt that while the show was serviceable, it was really just a set up show for the next night's Pay Per View taping in Chicago. Plus, I hadn't been to an ROH show since they abandoned Cleveland in 10/06, and there had been quite a bit of turnover in the company.

Before I get to the Chicago show, though, I must tell a little story about the highlight of my trip to Detroit (besides the show, of course). On the way back, we stopped at a gas station. Now, I don't usually check the ice cream coolers next to the check out, but I did on this night. What I found was nothing short of fantastic. And, I can't get my camera to load into the computer, and there aren't any good pics online, so you'll have to take my word that we scored some WWE ice cream bars!!! I got two for the road but Rick grabbed the entire remaining inventory for himself. He must've gotten twelve ice cream treats. And, if you've never had the pleasure of tasting a WWE ice cream bar, it's pretty much the best thing ever. And, since they're generally only sold by the ice cream man, get em quick, since summer's almost over.

The Chicago Pay Per View sounded off-the-charts fantastic. It was headlined by a double main event: ROH World Champion Morishima vs. Brian Danielson and ROH World Tag Team Champions The Briscoe Brothers vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico in a Ladder Match. Both champions retained, but the post match shenanigans were unbelievable. The group known as Project 161 finally made their debut, and their leader Jimmy Jacobs proclaimed their intentions above a hog tied Jay Briscoe, who was hanging by his feet above Jacobs. Briscoe was also bleeding heavily. Here's what Jacobs looked like after it was done:
Pretty gross if you ask me. I'm not a big fan of blood & guts, but it still sounded kinda cool. Maybe I'll check it out in a few months on Pay Per View. I also just remembered to mention that they wouldn't allow digital cameras at the show in Detroit, so no pics from me. We were in the second row, too, so I would've gotten some good ones. All in all, though, a nice time was had.

Until Then,
Later.

No comments: